Clear all

[Sticky] F-Droid and App Stores

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@mondele)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

F-Droid is an App Store for Android. It publishes Free and Open Source software, as well as some Freemium software. Unlike the Google Play Store, F-Droid has an emphasis on privacy and security. If an app sends information back to the publisher, F-Droid marks that as an "anti-feature". Apps can be downloaded and installed from F-Droid without any kind of account.

On my personal Android devices, I will install an app from F-Droid before I install it from Google Play Store, if it's available on both. My third choice is the Amazon Kindle store. Apps purchased from the Kindle store require you to be signed in to Amazon to use them.

You can download the F-Droid app from https://f-droid.org

(@mondele)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have many apps from F-Droid, but the ones that might interest Bible translators and MAST Techs* are as follows:

• And Bible - This is an offline Bible reader that uses modules from the Sword project. Most of the modules are free, and there is Greek and Hebrew word tagging in many of the modules. There are commentaries, and Bibles in many languages. Because the modules come from Public Domain sources, for the most part, the language in the free Bibles tends to be old, and can be difficult to understand. Modules need to be downloaded from the Internet, or otherwise installed.
  • AnySoftKeyboard - This flexible keyboard has modules to support several different keyboard layouts. It also includes long-press access to some variants of letters and letter forms. I use it for my main keyboard on Android.
  • Barcode Scanner - This is the same barcode scanner recommended by Syncthing, but it's not connected to the Google Play Store in any way.
  • Blokada - Ad blocker. If you are using a device with Internet access, this can help to protect you from unwanted pop-ups, and also save data.
  • Markor* - This is a simple Markdown editor. Compare with MarkdownX.
  • OS Monitor* - Task Manager or Activity Monitor for Android. This will show you what your apps are doing to your processor and RAM.
  • Syncthing - Insanely useful app to use local network to share files peer-to-peer. A must for data collection during MAST.

ReplyQuote
Share: